Quick Facts About Post-Graduate Work Permit
- The length of time for which a PGWP is valid can vary from eight months to three years.
- A post-graduate work permit is issued for the same duration as the applicant’s duration of study in Canada, for a maximum of 3 years.
- You can receive a PGWP for the duration of your program of study only if more than 50% of your program of study is conducted through in-person classes.
- In the case of part-time study or accelerated studies, the validity of the PGWP will be the duration of your program of study if taken full-time.
- You are not eligible for a post-graduate work permit that lasts longer than your duration of study in Canada.
Am I Eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?
A foreign national must be above 18 years of age to apply for a post-graduate work permit. He/she must have completed at least 8 months of a full-time study program in Canada. Moreover, the applicant must apply within 180 days of completing the study program.
At the time of the application, a student must have a valid status to apply from within Canada. If the study permit is about to expire or has expired, they must apply for status as a visitor prior to applying for PGWP.
ECC Visa suggests that you apply for a PGWP before your study permit expires. This way, you are eligible to start working immediately, even as your application is processing. The application for a post-graduate work permit can be submitted from overseas as well.
When Are You Not Eligible to Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?
There are some exceptions in which you are not allowed to apply for a PGWP. These include:
- If you already have a PGWP
- If your second language was English or French
- If you took self-improvement or general interest courses
- If you took part in the Government of Canada Awards Program
- If you received funds from Global Affairs Canada. However, if you have a Study in Canada scholarship, you can apply for a PGWP.
- If you took part in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
- If you took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
- If your study program was majorly completed by way of distance learning, such as correspondence, e-learning, or online courses
- If your study program was from a non-Canadian institution situated in Canada
ECC Visa helps applicants evaluate their application and understand the eligibility criteria in detail, eliminating the guesswork out of Canadian immigration plans.