Post Graduate Work Permit

Post-graduate work permits (PGWPs) are open work permits provided to international students after they graduate from a program of study in Canada. This work permit allows the recipient to work for any employer, anywhere in Canada.

The validity period for post-graduate work permits is between eight months and three years. During this period, an individual can gain valuable Canadian work experience. This work experience helps an applicant open future opportunities and obtain permanent residence in Canada.

It is vital to note that every program of study in Canada doesn’t qualify for a post-graduate work permit. ECC Visa helps you verify the eligibility criteria for PGWP before selecting a program. Also, you must graduate from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Quick Facts About Post-Graduate Work Permit

  1. The length of time for which a PGWP is valid can vary from eight months to three years.
  2. A post-graduate work permit is issued for the same duration as the applicant’s duration of study in Canada, for a maximum of 3 years.
  3. You can receive a PGWP for the duration of your program of study only if more than 50% of your program of study is conducted through in-person classes.
  4. In the case of part-time study or accelerated studies, the validity of the PGWP will be the duration of your program of study if taken full-time.
  5. You are not eligible for a post-graduate work permit that lasts longer than your duration of study in Canada.

Am I Eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?

A foreign national must be above 18 years of age to apply for a post-graduate work permit. He/she must have completed at least 8 months of a full-time study program in Canada. Moreover, the applicant must apply within 180 days of completing the study program.

At the time of the application, a student must have a valid status to apply from within Canada. If the study permit is about to expire or has expired, they must apply for status as a visitor prior to applying for PGWP.

ECC Visa suggests that you apply for a PGWP before your study permit expires. This way, you are eligible to start working immediately, even as your application is processing. The application for a post-graduate work permit can be submitted from overseas as well.

When Are You Not Eligible to Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?

There are some exceptions in which you are not allowed to apply for a PGWP. These include:

  • If you already have a PGWP
  • If your second language was English or French
  • If you took self-improvement or general interest courses
  • If you took part in the Government of Canada Awards Program
  • If you received funds from Global Affairs Canada. However, if you have a Study in Canada scholarship, you can apply for a PGWP.
  • If you took part in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
  • If you took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • If your study program was majorly completed by way of distance learning, such as correspondence, e-learning, or online courses
  • If your study program was from a non-Canadian institution situated in Canada

ECC Visa helps applicants evaluate their application and understand the eligibility criteria in detail, eliminating the guesswork out of Canadian immigration plans.